- We’ve updated the Policy to reflect changes in data privacy laws.
- We’ve added details about your ability to manage the information you share with us, and the new tools we’ve created to help you do that.
This updated Policy gives you more control over your information and more clearly explains how we use it. Our core commitments regarding your privacy haven’t changed, including the commitment to never sell your data.
Table of Contents
- Changes to This Policy
- Who We Are
- How This Policy Applies
- What We Collect and Receive
- How We Use This Information
- How This Information Is Shared
- Information that’s shared publicly
- Information that isn’t shared publicly
- Information that’s shared with trusted third-party services
- Information that’s shared with students and collaborators
- Information that’s shared to protect Lite Tuition and comply with the law
- Links to other websites and services
- Data Transfers
- Your Rights
- Email and Mobile Notifications
- Data Protection Officer
- Data Protection Authority
Changes to This Policy
We may update this Policy from time to time. If we do, we’ll let you know about any material changes, either by notifying you on the Site or by sending you an email. New versions of this Policy will never apply retroactively — we’ll tell you the exact date they go into effect. If you keep using Lite Tuition after a change, that means you accept this Policy.
Who We Are
Lite Tuition and its subsidiaries, affiliates, agents, representatives, consultants, employees, officers, and directors — collectively, “Lite Tuition,” “we,” or “us”) provides services that help people bring creative campaigns to life. Our main service is a funding platform for student campaigns. We are a based in Michigan.
How This Policy Applies
What We Collect and Receive
In order for you to create an account on Lite Tuition and use our Services, we need to collect and process certain information. Depending on your use of the Services, that may include:
- Information you provide by completing forms on Lite Tuition — your name, email and postal addresses, telephone number, country of residence, login, and password details. We may ask for this information if you register as a user of the Services, subscribe to our newsletters, upload or submit content through Lite Tuition, or if you contact us;
- Information you provide for identity verification purposes when launching a campaign, including your legal name and date of birth. In some cases, our payment processor will request that you provide a secure upload of an identity document (such as your passport, drivers license or other government-issued ID) to Lite Tuition;
- Details of any requests or transactions you make through the Services. Lite Tuition partners with other companies (such as Pay Pal) for payment processing, and the payment information you submit is collected and used by them in accordance with their privacy policies (for Pay Pal’s, click here). Lite Tuition doesn’t store your payment information apart from the last four digits of your credit card or bank account (as applicable), expiration date, and country, which we require for tax, government regulatory, and security purposes;
- Information about your activity on and interaction with Lite Tuition, including use of our mobile apps (such as your IP address, the type of device or browser you use, and your actions on the Site);
- Communications you send to us (for example, when you ask for support, send us questions or comments, or report a problem);
- Information that you submit on or to Lite Tuition in the form of comments, contributions to discussions, or messages to other users; and
You may decline to provide us with your information. However, this will limit your ability to register for an account or use our Services. You may contribute to a campaign as a guest by providing only an email address. However, to adjust your contribution, save payment details for future contributions, make campaign comments and take most other actions on our Site, you will need to finish creating an account. You may review, change or remove your information through your account settings.
How We Use This Information
We use the information we collect for the following purposes:
- To keep your account secure and protect our Services (including to verify the identities of Students and prevent fraud and abuse);
- To enable us to provide you with our Services, and to improve and promote our Services;
- To create and administer your account, contact you, and customize your experience on Lite Tuition (for example, to show you campaigns that we think may interest you based on your previous use); and
- To track and analyze use of the Services so that we can improve how Lite Tuition is performing and provide users with the best experience possible.
How This Information Is Shared
Information that’s shared publicly
When you create an account, we create a basic profile page for you on Lite Tuition, containing your username, the date the account was created, and a list of campaigns you have backed or launched. By default, your profile is private and you can choose to make it public in your account settings. Your username appears with the comments you post and messages you send on Lite Tuition and, if your profile is set to public, people can click your username to view it. If you make your profile public, others will be able to see the following things:
- The account username you select, and the date the account was created;
- Any information you choose to add to your profile (like a picture, bio, or your location);
- Campaigns you’ve backed (but not contribution amounts);
- Campaigns you’ve created;
- Comments you’ve posted on Lite Tuition; and
If you would like to have a public profile, but don’t want others to see your name or profile image on a campaign’s Community tab, you may choose an account image or name that is not identifiable (e.g., PuppyLuvr01). You can modify or delete certain information associated with your account (such as your username, profile image, biography and location) from your account settings, and you can change your privacy settings if you want to make your profile private or adjust the default settings.
Students are also asked to verify their identities before launching a campaign. Once this has been done, the student’s Verified Name will be publicly displayed on their account profile and on any campaigns they launch.
Information that isn’t shared publicly
The following data will not be publicly displayed or revealed to other users:
- Any payment information you provide;
- Your password details;
- Your IP address;
- Your phone number;
- Your date of birth and other identity verification documentation (for students);
- Private profile information, in accordance with your preferences; and
- Communications you send to us (for example, when you ask for support, send us questions or comments, or report a problem).
Information that’s shared with trusted third-party services
We may share your information with certain trusted third-party services to help us provide, improve, promote, or protect Lite Tuition’s Services (like when we partner with payment processors, or use services that help us manage our ads on other sites). When we share data with third-party services that support our delivery of the Lite Tuition Services, we require that they use your information only for the purposes we’ve authorized, and that they protect your personal information at least to the same standards we do. We may also share information that’s aggregated and anonymized in a way that it doesn’t directly identify you.
Information that’s shared with students and collaborators
When you back a campaign, the campaign’s creator will know your username and the amount you have contributed. Students never receive backers’ credit card details or other payment information.
If a campaign you have backed is successfully funded, the creator will receive the email address associated with your Lite Tuition account.
Students are required to keep backer information confidential, except as strictly necessary to communicate with backers directly. Students should not ask for personal information that isn’t necessary and should never request sensitive personal information such as your Social Security number or payment information. Contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org if you receive a request for information that seems inappropriate or excessive.
Collaborators are third parties that Students can appoint to help get exposure to their campaign. These collaborators may be able to access the information available to students (including backers’ names, email addresses, contribution amounts, messages, and survey responses), and are required to treat backers’ personal information with the same care and respect as students are.
Students and their collaborators may also receive routine traffic analytics about their campaign pages.
Information that’s shared to protect Lite Tuition and comply with the law
We do reserve the right to disclose personal information when we believe that doing so is reasonably necessary to comply with the law or law enforcement, to prevent fraud or abuse, or to protect Lite Tuition’s legal rights, property, or the safety of Lite Tuition, its employees, users, or others.
Links to other websites and services
We will retain your information as long as your account is active, as necessary to provide you with the Services or as otherwise set forth in this Policy. We will also retain and use this information as necessary for the purposes set out in this Policy and to the extent necessary to comply with our legal obligations, resolve disputes, enforce our agreements and protect Lite Tuition’s legal rights.
We also collect and maintain aggregated, anonymized or pseudonymized information which we may retain indefinitely to protect the safety and security of our Site, improve our Services or comply with legal obligations.
Users residing in certain countries, including the EU, are afforded certain rights regarding their personal information. Except where an exception or exemption applies, these rights include the ability to access, correct, and request deletion of your personal information. While these rights are not applicable globally, all Lite Tuition users can manage their personal information, as further described below, in their account settings.
You can request a downloadable copy of your personal data from Lite Tuition from your account settings page. To modify or delete the personal information you’ve provided to us, please log in and update your profile. You may also delete your account from your account settings page. We may retain certain information as required by law or as necessary for our legitimate business purposes.
Email and Mobile Notifications
We want to communicate with you only if you want to hear from us. We try to keep emails to a minimum and give you the ability to opt in to any marketing communications we send.
We will send you email relating to your transactions on Lite Tuition. You may also elect to receive certain marketing email communications, in accordance with your preferences, and from which you may opt out at any time by adjusting your notification settings. If you download the Lite Tuition app, you can manage the notifications you receive on your mobile device in your profile settings.
We’ll also send you service-related announcements when it’s necessary to do so.
We take security seriously, and the security of your personal data is important to us. We follow industry-standard practices to protect the data we collect and maintain, including using Transport Layer Security (TLS) to encrypt information as it travels over the internet. No method of transmission over the internet or electronic storage is completely secure, so Lite Tuition cannot guarantee its absolute security. Your account information is protected by a password, which you should choose carefully and keep secure. We encourage all users to enable two-factor authentication in account settings to further protect their account.
Data Protection Officer
To contact our Data Protection Officer, please email email@example.com.
You can contact us in writing at:
155 S. Main Street #995
Mount Clemens, MI 48046
People under 18 (or the legal age in your jurisdiction) are not permitted to use Lite Tuition on their own. Lite Tuition does not knowingly collect any personal information from children under the age of 13 and children under 13 are not permitted to register for an account or use our Services.
If you believe that a child has provided us with personal information, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org. If we become aware that a child under age 13 has provided us with personally identifiable information, we’ll delete it.
Updated: January 2020